The Pedestrian 08 Campaign exists to promote the rapid adoption of scientifically based, maximum blood alcohol concentration (BAC) for those other road users – Pedestrians. In the media, this has been called The Drink Walking Campaign.
We need this limit imposed and enforced to:
- Prevent pedestrian accidents, injuries and deaths
- Eliminate alcohol related violence.
- Reduce binge drinking.
1. Pedestrian safety
Research into Pedestrian safety demonstrates a clear need to adopt a Pedestrian 08 Limit.
What is the maximum acceptable blood alcohol concentration (BAC) for a pedestrian?
For your own safety, if you are not driving, stay under a BAC of 08. Read the rest of this entry…
2. Alcohol fuelled violence, alcohol related violence
Research proves that at a BAC of 08 and above you are more likely to become engaged in acts of alcohol related violence.
Alcohol is a psychoactive drug. It can act as a disinhibitor. You are more likely to throw a punch or kick someone to death at or above a BAC of 08 than below it.
For your own safety and the safety of others always stay under a BAC of 08. Read the rest of this entry…
3. Binge drinking
The research is clear. Do not drink until the age of 23. Your brain is still developing and can be hindered or impaired by alcohol consumption.
Alcohol consumption by children is killing them via brain and liver damage, falls, traffic and other pedestrian accidents.
Children as young as eight years old are regularly being treated in casualty departments.
Parents, sporting clubs and organisations, alcohol advertisers, sporting programs, all night beer barns, Big Liquor, Big Liquor’s ‘alcopops’, ‘alcohol-normalising’ TV and Radio programs and broadcasters, politicians and governments are all to blame for the burgeoning binge drinking culture.
Binge drinking is dangerous to your health and the health and well being of others. Find out what binge drinking actually is via these pages and the links to other sites. Show some character, avoid it all costs – it leads to alcoholism, cancer and accidental and violent deaths. Read the rest of this entry…
A Cultural Problem
With a greatly expanding phenomenon of binge drinking at its core, we have a rapidly developing and destructive cultural problem to contend with.
The ‘silo mindset’ of many government departments make for narrowly based policy decisions with little coordination and a multitude of interests to deal with. A whole-of-government response is needed with a publicly declared primary motivation that human life – especially those of children – is the government’s top priority.
A massive whole-of-government policy option is to set a pedestrian BAC limit of 08. It will change behaviour, reducing violence, injury and death. It will work and if lessons of our motorist’s 05 campaign are taken on board, it will work immediately and with dramatic immediate effects.
Governments have a clear duty of care to do this and do it now.
Sporting organisations can assist by publicly and openly contracting their players and staff to play and work under 08.
As an individual you can help by never forgetting where responsible drinking ends – at 08 – and by resolving to always stay under 08.
A Culture Busting Solution
- Responsible drinking will be given a research derived and easily understood and easily communicated BAC. ‘Responsible drinking ends at .08′ is just so easy to express – isn’t it?
- A massive education campaign explaining the very real dangers of alcohol and the linkage between binge drinking and most alcohol related harms, will precede implementation of the campaign. Everyone will know what’s coming, what to do and how to react.
- Online and I-Phone Calculators are available now to help users understand pedestrian 08 limits of Responsible Drinking as well as lower BAC levels that may pertain to your activity.
- In Public Bar and other Liquor Venue BAC Testers will aid both overall restraint in consumption and give a reinforcement of expected BAC levels. No venue dispensing this drug ought to be licensed to do so without providing their patrons with a safe, reliable, accurate and well serviced BAC testing machines. It is simply not responsible for any government, anywhere, to allow such a situation to continue.
- Costing about 10% of the total program, random breath testing of selected areas will reinforce the Responsible Drinking message, increase the personal safety of public transport commuters, entertainment district patrons and limit the number of underage drinkers. The Pedestrian 08 Campaign seeks to return basic civil liberties so often denied to the victims of binge drinking.
With a Pedestrian 08 program in place you will regain safe access to whole neighbourhoods and entertainment districts.
You will regain access to dangerous and often deadly public transport.
You will regain ready access to hospital and emergency medical treatment and ambulance coverage.
Many, many lives will be saved in the short and long term.
It could be you or someone you love.
Media Inquiries: ph 0404170105